In 1870 a supply road was established between Ft. Supply and the Cheyenne-Arapaho agency in Darlington, O.T. The road (and telegraph line) was built as an extension of the Ft. Dodge (KS) - Ft. Supply trail and extended to Ft. Reno in 18 ...
County Seat: Woodward, OK 73801
Woodward County was originally known as "N" County and was composed of present day Woodward County and portions of Harper, Ellis, and Woods County. Before its division at statehood, Woodward County, then 60 miles square, was the westernmost county of the Cherokee Outlet and adjoined Texas and the Oklahoma Panhandle on the west and Kansas on the north. Political pressure applied by William H. Murray during Oklahoma's Constitutional Convention resulted in the reduction of the size of Woodward County to its present boundaries. It is unknown exactly who the county (and the town) is named after, but the two leading candidates are Brinton W. Woodward, a Santa Fe railway director, or Richard Woodward, a buffalo hunter.