Fort Coffee

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Choctaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for boys During Civil War buildings used as barracks by Confederate forces. In Oct. 1863 captured by Federal troops and principal buildings burned.


About 1 and 1/2 miles east of Main St. in Spiro, Oklahoma,  on U.S. Highway 271 on south side of road next to Choctaw Agency monument.

35.240477, -94.595410
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Other places listed in LeFlore County