Established in autumn 1839 by Lt. Col. R.B. Mason and 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army, and named in honor of Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Abandoned on May 15, 1842. Here in July 1861, Col. Stand Watie established a Confederate army post and organized the Cherokee Mounted Rifles. Captured by Federal troops, Oct. 22. 1862 in engagement known as Battle of Fort Wayne.
Main St & Hwy-59 South, Watts, OK / 13 miles west of Gravette, AR