Following admission to the Union in 1846, the state of Texas, as a slave state, ceded the "Public Land Strip" to the United States to comply with the Missouri Compromise of 1850, which forbade slavery north of 36° 30'. The area remained unorganized but was promoted as Cimarron Territory in the 1880s with some attempts to establish a government. No Man's Land became part of Oklahoma Territory on May 2, 1890.
On US-54 at Texas border near Texhoma, Okahoma
* Information from Oklahoma Historical Society