Named for Gen. Henry Leavenworth who died near here July 21, 1834, while enroute from Fort Givson to WichitaVillage in Western Oklahoma for a peace conference with Plains Indians. The expedition continued underCol. Henry Dodge, assisted by many notable officers and civilians including Lt. Jefferson Davis andGeorge Catlin, the artist of Indian life.
206 HWY 70 W in Kingston, Oklahoma
At the west edge of Kingston is the Camp Leavenworth marker erected in memory of the ill-fated expedition of 1834 made of the Dragoon Regiment. The site of Camp Leavenworth (probably about 4 miles south of the marker is now inundated by Lake Texoma).
Leavenworth, or Camp Leavenworth, near the mouth of the Washita River, located on the bank of the Red, in Marshall County, would have been very appropriate in naming the present town of Woodville. On this old camp site, General Leavenworth died, and Catlin drew some of his most noted Indian pictures.