Carrier, Oklahoma Territory
Northwestern Academy was financed in part and sponsored by the Congregational Home Missionary Society of Boston, Massachusetts, through the initiative, leadership and dedication of a few Carrier citizens and contributions of money, material and labor by many.
The main building was about 220 yards north and 580 yards east of this spot, in the center of a 10-acre campus donated by Miss Zue Carrier from the homestead she staked in the Race for Claims in the Cherokee Strip on September 16, 1893.
The first classes were held September 19, 1898 for 12 years. Northwestern Academy was an important education cultural and religious center, serving a wide area with significant influence through the years.
Erected by Oklahoma State Society Daughters of the American Revolution and Carrier Community Association 1968
West Vine and 5th Street