Telephones in 1886
The first commercial long distancetelephone line in Oklahoma wasplaced in service here in 1886. It connected Fort Gibson withTahlequah and Muskogee. The linewas built by a company formed by agroup of Cherokees, namely: L.B. Bell,J.S. Stapler, J.B. Stapler, C.W. Turner, John S. Scott and E.D. Hicks.
The monument erected as a publicservice by Southwestern Belltelephone company.
Historic Fort Gibson, Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
* GPS From other source