The Fort Townson Landing was south of here on the banks for the Red Riveralso know as the public landing from 1824 to 1854 it served as a receiving point for soldiers and supplies delivered by keelboats and steamboatsTraders at the Choctaw settlement of Doaksville and local planters reveivedgoods and transported cotton to New Orleans. The Cotton went to textiles mills in Great Britain and the eastern United States, helping fuel the industrial revolution commercial navigation on the upper Red River continued until the early 1900s when railroads surpassed it as an economical mode of transportation.
At North 3rd Steet East on US-70 1/2 mi Fort Towson, Oklahoma.
Links: Ft. Tours)
** Image from Google Street View